Protective Equipment Policy
The goal of the Balwyn JFC is to provide an opportunity for all boys and girls to play Australian Rules Football in an enjoyable and nurturing environment regardless of individual skill. As such the club welcomes applications to play from all interested and eligible applicants within the registration period. All registrations are conditional upon receipt of payment and acceptance or otherwise by the Committee. All registration decisions are at the absolute discretion of the Committee.
2. Team Numbers
Given that excessively large player numbers per team run counter to the Club’s stated aim of providing an enjoyable and nurturing football experience for its players BJFC reserves the right to cap team numbers at 29 players per team. Should the need arise this restriction will be implemented on a situation by situation basis in consultation with the registered players, parents and coaches of affected teams.
Given the different YJFL League and game rules and the uncompetitive nature of the U8 & U9 age group competitions point 2 does not apply to these age groups.
To ensure the registration process is as smooth as possible, BJFC has implemented the following steps:
- Age group coaches are appointed by November the year prior to ensure new and returning players and families are informed.
- Registrations are open from the 1st of December – four months prior to season start.
- Registration is available online and is largely automated.
- BJFC will provide incentives for early registration (pre 31st December).
- Regular registration reminder emails are sent to the Club’s previous player database.
Registrations are monitored by the registrar once the registration period opens on the 1st of December the year prior to the season start date (i.e Dec 1st 2016 for a Season start date of 6th April 2017).
Once the registration period is open:
- Coaches will receive regular updates from the registrar as to the current registered player numbers for their age group.
- Coaches will be encouraged to actively contact previous year players to encourage prompt re-registration of returning players.
In the advent of large team numbers:
- When it becomes clear that team numbers will surpass 24 players the registrar will advise the coach.
- The coach and a committee member will then communicate to the registered players the League mandated game day numbers rules (both season and finals) and explain the possible impact that rule and the BJFC “Fair Time” coaching policy may have on the team and on the individual.
- Once player numbers in any team reach 29 any future registrations received will be deemed provisional and subject to confirmation by the registrar.
- The coach and a committee member will then communicate to all players of the affected age group or team advising of the number cap and again explain the impact the League game day rules and the BJFC “Fair Time” coaching policy will have on the team and on the individual.
At this point the registered players will be asked to re-confirm their commitments to BJFC and their team for the following season.
Players who do not wish to play on in the large team environment will be accommodated in another team within the same age if possible. If no suitable accommodation can be found players at their absolute discretion can cancel their registration and will be issued with a full refund.
In the advent of small team numbers:
- When it becomes clear that registration numbers appear to be too small to field a team the registrar will advise the coach.
- The coach and a committee member will then communicate and advise the registered players of the situation and attempt to collectively engineer some additional registrations.
- Representations by the Director of Coaching will also be made to neighbouring clubs in an attempt to bolster numbers.
- If team numbers remain insufficient players will be accommodated in another team in the same age group if possible.
- If no other team is available and BJFC is unable to field a team in the registered player’s age group then every attempt will be made to locate the player another team with a local club.
- The registered player will be issued with a full refund.